Terminology You Might Hear From A Building Inspector

Sooner or later, most people e will meet a certified building inspector, either as a buyer or a seller of one’s house.  A building inspector is almost always needed insist on inspecting by themselves. And we all know what that will lead to.

Anyway, to prepare you for your eventual meeting with the good inspector, here are a few terms you might hear from him which you might not have an idea what it means, but thanks to this post, you will. Makes sense? Yes? Good.

APERTURE – This is the opening of pipes

AWNING WINDOWS – A kind of window with the hinges located on the top that makes it open out and up

BREAKER BOX – A metal box that houses the circuit breakers or fuses that control the electrical current in a house

BUCKLING – When building materials start to bend due to natural wear and tear

CAULKING – The material that is used to fill out the joints between floors, fixtures, windows, doors, shower stalls, etc.

CIRCUIT BREAKER (see also BREAKER BOX) – Acting similarly like a fuse, it acts as a safety valve for surges in electricity like lightning strikes or sudden blackouts. Unlike a fuse, these can be reset

DRYWALL – Gypsum board material used for ceilings and walls

EAVES – The part of the roof that overhangs the walls of a home

FLUE – A chamber in a fireplace that directs fire and smoke and other gases to the outside

GROUNDFAULT INTERRUPTER (GFI) – A safety device that interrupts surges of electricity in appliances and other electrical components found in a home

HVAC – Short for heating, ventilating and air condition system

INSULATION – Materials resistant to heat energy loss. These can be fiber glass, mineral wool, foam or cellulose, placed in walls and ceilings, crawl spaces and basements

JOISTS – The horizontal bars of timber that support a floor

LATHING – Strips of wood or other materials to use as a base for plaster

MOULDING – The material used to cover the joints in floors and walls

POINTING UP – The replacement of deteriorated mortar between bricks for new mortar

REGISTERS – Help regulate air flow

SOFFIT – The underside part of the roof that extends outside the walls of a structure

THRESHOLD – The strip of metal, wood, marble or other material that is placed at the base of doors

WEATHER -STRIPPING – Composed of various materials, this is used to reduce the escape of heat or air conditioning from a home. It is often installed around windows and doors.

ZONE – A system that makes having different temperatures in different parts of a structure possible

There you have it. An A – Z of terms you might hear from your local certified building inspector. So the next time your inspector tells you that your home’s “Zone’s HVAC’s registers aren’t working well due to the deterioration of the moulding,” you would know exactly what he is saying.

[dt_gap height=”20″ /]